Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pawel Althamer


Today I went to the Ludwig Forum in Aachen (Germany). It's a museum for modern art and they are now showing work of Pawel Althamer. He is a polish artist who won "The Aachen Art Prize". I really like his sculptures, but the exhibition was a bit disapointing. The museum is preparing for a big exhibition in march so a lot of ereas are closed. But Art Prize is a big thing and they have only three works of Althamer: the film "the golden knight" and the same-titled sculpture and a installation, which you could see in the neighbouring church.

The funny thing is, as I was studying in Basel (Switzerland) Pawel was a guest teacher at the academy in the year 2003. I remember that he didn`t say very much, but he told us that he thinks that walking is very important to watch and observe things, especially in the city. So he made us walk through Basel for three days! At day three the most students didn't even show up. He told us that he had organized a exhibition in "Stadtkino Basel" and we had to make sculptures out of clay, inspired by our walks. So the picture below shows the weird baby-thing I made in his workshop. The baby is holding a plastic bal with a dog inside. I don't know what I was thinking, but making sculptures isn't my calling, haha! I didn't speak a lot with Pawel, but the weird thing is that I remember his workshop and walking through the city.




4 comments:

  1. So Althamer makes mostly sculptures and installations? I love visiting art museums (actually I visited one today!) and it would make me sad too if some areas were closed.

    I love the idea of walking in the city and observing things. It's really important for making painitings/drawings/whatever of buildings, people, etc.

    I think your sculpture is cool! I'd love to have something like this in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lela! Althamer makes all kind of art, he also makes videos en films. And he makes a lot of work including kids: they work with him on art pieces: making drawings or sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that he uses a little help of children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your sculpture is very good! It has meaning- a baby with a ball and inside the ball is a dog. You probably would have done a different sculpture in the countryside.
    How interesting too that so many students dropped out on day three- as if it wasn't worth their time. Walking through the city would be great fun.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    Good thing you stuck it out because you came up with such a great art piece!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment!